Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Cooking!

SO I have this friend. Her name is Camille Funk. We have been friends for OH about 8 years and I have to say ... SHE AMAZES me! Get ready, I am about ready to brag about you Camille!

She graduated from Columbia University in NY with a Masters degree in International Education. She has written two books and currently works at BYU in their independent study department. Not only that, but this girl has PERSONALITY, loves hip hop, and the outdoors. The other night I decided I was missing my dear friend, and Adam was gone to school for the evening ... so I had her over for dinner. What a joy she is and I sure miss her so much! It was a great reunion. I thought I would give a little shout out to you all by telling you about her cooking blog ... (click here) ... and show you her new book ... A COOK BOOK! Camille is Miss perfect, (and I really mean it! I have yet to find fault in this girl) yet Mr. perfect hasn't found her yet, so she did this cookbook all about cooking for one person. Isn't that amazing!
So you can order it on Amazon, get it at Borders or Barnes and Noble ... and I suggest you do! It is FANTASTICO!

Also, thought I would share a recipe that I got from a friend in NY. This is what I made for Camille and I for dinner. (Adam won't touch squash so I had to make it for someone, right?) I promise you won't be dissapointed, and with fall coming quickly, it is the perfect meal to usher in the season! ENJOY!

Butternut Squash Soup

6 cups (peeled & cubed) butternut squash (1 medium squash)
5 cups of water or chicken broth
2 TBSP olive oil
2 cups chopped onion
1 tsp dried leaf thyme
4 TBS butter
1/3 cup flour
3/4 cup heavy cream (I can imagine milk would work just fine)
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp salt
1 TBSP Soy Sauce (I know, seems weird, but trust me ... it makes it AMAZING)
optional: 1/2 cup roasted almonds for garnish

Combine squash and water or stock in 4 quart pot. Bring to a boil then lower heat. Cover and cook until tender. (25 minutes). Meanwhile, heat oil in frying pan and saute the onions and thyme until tender and lightly browned. Add to squash. Puree the squash and onions in blender until almost smooth (leave a few chucks). NOTE: MAY WANT TO DO A FEW BATCHES IN THE BLENDER TO PREVENT EXPLOSION. TRUST ME ... MINE EXPLODED OUT OF MY BLENDER AND MADE A HUGE MESS!)
Next melt butter in same frying pan over low heat, add flower, and stir 1 - 2 minutes until well mixed and lightly browned. Add cream and mix with a whisk until blended. Add to the soup, then return the soup to a simmer. Add ginger, salt, soy sauce, and pepper. Simmer 15 minutes uncovered and serve.

Goes AWESOME with a nice salad and homemade croutons! DELISH!

1 comment:

Camille said...

Thanks Duds! Love you girl... and for all y'all out there... this soup is amazing! Girl, you really are the perfect homemaker! :)