Thursday, November 1, 2012

Today's Segment - Inspiring Quotes

With all of the craziness of Halloween, life in general ... I thought throwing another fun segment on Studio 5 into the bowl would be super crazy ... Hey ... Why not!



Ways to show off those inspiring quotes

We all do it! We hear a quote that causes a flutter, motivates us, and even makes us laugh. Rather than printing it out, sticking it on your mirror, or putting it in a standard frame, Mandy Douglass is here to show you how to create stunning ways to think outstide the box when displaying meaningful quotes!

1. Quotes on materials other than in a standard frame





I saw an idea similar to this years ago, and have always wanted a chance to re-create it. This quote is a little inside joke between my husband and I. Although it is simple, it creates a big statement piece in our bathroom.

This wall art came together in 1.5 hours from start to finish. I found some old barn wood and screwed all three pieces to two vertical boards on the back. You can simply cut stencils from the silhouette or cricut, then paint on barnwood as a wall hanging! It really was THAT simple!

2. Split up the Quote




Kirsten Krason from http://6thstreetdesignschool.blogspot.com/ showed how she took something so simple and split it between three frames. It allows your eye to move across the room and allows such a bold, but big statement for her little girl’s nursery! Isn’t this how we all feel like little girls?

(to read about how to purchase these frames go here - http://6thstreetdesignschool.blogspot.com/2012/10/janes-nursery.html)


Another example was a religious quote that affected me this past month! I really wanted it in a place where it would remind me of the message that was said. I couldn’t find a better place than the shelves in my kitchen. I simply printed these out as photos on my photo printer. If you don’t have a printer you could create them and send them to your local photo processor.



Burlap pillow rage!



Right now at places like Restoration Hardware, you will see lots of different types of typography on burlap pillows. With some cheap burlap, Heat & Bond lite (found at Hobby Lobby), and a home office ink jet printer, you can print your own quote on a piece of burlap!



For detailed instructions of how to do this, follow this link:
http://www.sewrockin.com/2011/11/28/how-to-print-on-burlap/

Note – The finished size of this pillow is 13” x 13”. The insert comes from Ikea, and my printer will print 12” x 12” An Epson Photo 1400

4. Quotes on walls without frames

Anyone who knows me, knows I have an obsession with plates. I found these two samples online that shows each word on a different plate.


Displaying Everyday Quotes


We all know that kids say the funniest things, so why not surround ourselves with those funny words that make us smile every day.

Maybe the quotes could also be letters of encouragement, or motivation from people we are inspired by!


I hope that you have enjoyed ways to display quotes. If you are interested in displaying fun quotes in your house, but are unsure of how to arrange the typography, I am available for hire for freelance design work. Please email me for more information!

Mandy

PS ... Halloween / October re-cap coming soon ... 

1 comment:

*katie said...

Great quotes! I love the "float my boat" one :)