Thursday, October 27, 2011

Fall "Comfort" food

I don't know what it is about fall, but I start to get into the mood to cook again!

One of the recipes I grew up with, is one I enjoy making on a cold fall day. It is a little bit more time consuming than some other recipes ... however it is worth every minute of preparation! So I thought I would share it with you!

Chicken Turnovers

GRAVY
2-3 Chicken Breasts
1 small Onion, minced
2 1/4 cups Potatoes, grated
1 Carrot, grated
1/2 cup frozen Peas
1-2 TBSP Cornstarch
1 tsp of Chicken bullion
Salt & Pepper to taste)
optional: Thyme to taste

Cook chicken in 3 cups of water. Remove chicken and cut into small pieces. Put back into water. Add onion, potatoes, and carrot. Cook until tender. Thicken broth with cornstarch, Add peas.

** While vegetables are cooking, make the turnover crust.


CRUST
2 cups Flour
1 tsp Salt
3/4 cup Butter
1 Egg, beaten
3 TBSP Vinegar
6 TBSP Water

Cut butter into flour and salt, but using a pastry cutter or food processor. Add eggs, vinegar, and water. Mix until dough is in a ball. Split into 2 balls. Roll out into a 6" square. Fill squares with 2 TBSP of gravy. Fold over crosswise. Press edges together using a fork.

Bake at 400 Degrees for 20 minutes. Serve with additional gravy on top.

It is one of my favorites and I am so glad to share it with you! Hope you enjoy!
Mandy

1 comment:

Wendy said...

This sound delicious! My husband can't eat beef or pork so any new chicken recipes are greatly welcome here...Thanks!